Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Creating an old-world look

Hey, it's me, Linda! I've been playing around with some different ideas and ways to incorporate these Globecraft Frames into a variety of projects. Today I took the Hanging Little Rectangles and used one to make a mini book to house ATC's.

These are great for this project because of their smaller size and there's three to a pack so you can make three mini books for very little cost!

I wanted to go for an old-world metal look so pulled out several colors of Piccolo Enamel Powders: Mermaid Tears, Vintage Gold, Temple Stone, Vintage Copper and Victorian Bronze. I started by painting all the book board with Ranger's Pitch Black acrylic Paint Dabber.
Working from the top layer down, I inked the smaller framed with Piccolo Enamel Powder Adhesive and sprinkled with one of the powders. I didn't cover the entire piece with just one color of powder. I left openings and filled in with several of the other colors. I tapped the excess off onto a piece of paper and poured it into a separate jar and saved as a party mix.
I like to heat my first layer totally so it has a smooth finish. I then sprinkle on another layer and use the heat flash method of not heating till smooth. I build three to four layers with this technique, which creates lots of age.
This frame gets glued to the next layer when cooled and secure with clothespins or binder clips to set the glue. Once set, use the dabber adhesive around the new layer and use the enamel powders in the same manner as with the first layer.
Once I decided how I wanted to bind the book (I settled on using my Zutter Bind-it-All with the space bar), I punched the last layer before gluing it the others. I also wanted to add an eyelet for the closure so punched the hole for that and inserted the eyelet but did not set it.
Finish this final layer the same way as the rest then start on the embellishments. I chose Piccolo Card Decor Set No. 5 and Heart Flourishes Set No. 2 along with the new Dragonfly Wings. I made two flowers from Vintage song sheets using Sizzix Flowers, 3D die.
I added a few pearl gems from Want2Scrap to the birdcage and inserted the heart into a memo pin and tied a ribbon around it. For the background I inked a tag with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, spritzed it with my homemade Perfect Pearl Heirloom Gold spritz and heat set. I stamped randomly on the tag with script and number stamps using Ranger's Archival Jet Black Ink. After heat setting I embossed the tag using an embossing folder then painted the piece with Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint. When all the pieces were dry I assembled them on the tag to fit them within the globe before gluing it all down.
I love using these globes for mini book fronts because it helps to protect any dimensional items I want to add to the cover. When it all fit I glued it in place, adhered the globe then adhered the tag piece to the back of the embossed frames. I added glue to a second piece for backing and fit it in place then clipped it all together with clothespins and binder clips.
This book is far from done but I've got a good start on it. I painted another piece of the book board black for the back cover. I made the pages for the inside with pockets to hold ATC cards I intend to make. This book will have the theme of Ancestors.
I've never made ATC's so I'm excited to start this project! The book is bound and has several blank pages inside. They'll need to be inked and stamped as well. But that's another post.
Thanks for stopping by Globecraft Memories! Visit my blog for more inspiration at linda-neff.com



























2 comments:

Pinky Hobbs said...

This is so cool Linda! :)

Mae said...

What a great way to store ATCs! I love it!